Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Review: War Photographer (2001): James Nachtwey

I had heard the name before but knew little about Natchtwey.  What comes to mind is Farah Nosh mentioning him at our Photojournalist workshop as one of the greatest modern documentary photographers.  I found the film online and had downloaded it some months ago before firing it up last night.  I find myself hanging out with the in-laws during the summer holiday and with some hours to spare, a great opportunity for catching up on reading, blogging, and films.

What struck me most about the film was Natchtwey himself.  He reminds me a bit of me, of someone who has spent a good deal of his life living outside his own culture and in doing so learned to modify his behavior in ways that insure his continued acceptance and survival.  He speaks slowly and articulates clearly. There is only a trace of an accent.  His words are careful and deliberate. As someone regularly in high stress situations, he has learned to manage his emotions and doesn't seem like the kind of person quick to anger, nor quick to excite.  His story of waking up one morning and deciding to be a war photographer seems mostly believable. He seems like the kind of person I would like to know.

Photographically, it was interesting to see someone working at the end of the analog age.  Most of the film seems to have been shot in the late 1990s and there are several scenes showing the photogrpaher changing film or labeling canisters.  I was surprised at how closely he gets to grieving subjects.  Just watching him made me feel uncomfortable.

I don't plan on  being a war photographer, but it was inspiring to witness someone giving his life to documenting suffering.  I'm afraid not many of us could do even half as much.

#

No comments:

Post a Comment